Stubb House is a country house dating from 1690 with additions made in the mid 18th century and in 1816. Although the present building is late 18th century there are records of a house here since 1333. Construction is of sandstone and amongst its notable architectural features is a Roman Doric doorcase flanked by 12-pane window sashes in Gibbs surrounds. The flanking pavilions were added in 1816.
In the 1960s and 70s the house, which was reputedly haunted by one of the many ‘grey ladies’ associated with such venerable buildings, was used by local education authorities as well as foreign exchange students. Read comments from some of the students who stayed there in its listing within the British Listed Buildings website.
It was a Mrs Harrison of Stubb House who ‘…provided an excellent dinner and tea for the parishioners’ after the ceremony in 1829 of the laying of the foundation stone of the first Whorlton Bridge.
Stubb House marks the eastern boundary of the parish of Whorlton and is located 0.5 km south of the A67 between Whorlton and Winston in County Durham (OS Grid Ref NZ 121158)