Middleton Bridge is a County Bridge constructed at an ancient crossing point on the River Tees which, according to the mining surveyor Thomas Sopwith in 1833, was “built about 20 years ago on the ruins of a former new bridge which, in the winter of 1811, fell when nearly completed”. The current bridge is a graceful, single-arch sandstone structure carrying the A6277 over the Tees on the outskirts of Middleton-in-Teesdale and which before 1974 linked County Durham with North Yorkshire. It was Grade II listed in 1967 and extensively repaired in 1984 when traffic was redirected over a temporary Bailey bridge. In its listing the circular decorations on all four corners of the bridge are described as “blind roundels on each spandrel”. The northern side of the bridge is the point from which the Teesdale Way is officially waymarked having previously shared the route of the waymarked Pennine Way.
Location NY 946252
Bridges on the Tyne. “Middleton in Teesdale Bridge.” Bridges on the Tees, 2007, https://www.bridgesonthetyne.co.uk/holwick.html. Accessed 16 October 2020.
“Drivers spared another detour.” Teesdale Mercury, 19 October 1983, https://tinyurl.com/y2cezkdp. Accessed 16 October 2020.
Historic England. “Middleton Bridge.” Historic England, 16 October 2020, https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1160160. Accessed 16 October 2020.
Sopwith, Thomas. An Account of the Mining Districts of Alston Moor, Weardale & Teesdale. W. Davison (Alnwick), 1833. Google Books, https://tinyurl.com/yy8sn7qb. Accessed 16 October 2020.