The original bridge was constructed on this site some time before 1856 for the Earl of Strathmore by Motley & Green of Leeds, as attested by the iron gates at each end of the present bridge. It subsequently became known as Duke’s Bridge and was widened in 1930 to provide access to Holwick Head Farm. The current bridge was rebuilt in timber and steel, on masonry piers, in 1998.
Holwick Head Bridge crosses the River Tees approximately 1 km downstream from High Force at a point on the Teesdale Fault where the river leaves a steeply incised gorge at Keedholm Scar before entering a wide pastoral valley. The two-span bridge links the Pennine Way/Teesdale Way with the High Force Hotel on the B6277
Location NY 889283
Bridges on the Tyne. “Holwick Head footbridge.” Bridges on the Tees, 2007, https://www.bridgesonthetyne.co.uk/holwick.html. Accessed 16 October 2020.
Keys to the Past. “Holwick Head Bridge (High Force).” Keys to the Past, Durham & Northumberland County Councils, 2020, http://www.keystothepast.info/article/10339/Site-Details?PRN=D4550. Accessed 16 October 2020.
Senior, John. “Geology and landscape of Upper Teesdale – an excursion.” British Geological Survey (Earthwise), Yorkshire Geological Society, 11 May 2020, http://earthwise.bgs.ac.uk/index.php/Geology_and_landscape_of_Upper_Teesdale_-_an_excursion. Accessed 16 October 2020.