Gainford Spa is a mineral spring flowing from an artesian well discovered in the sandstone on the banks of the River Tees in 1834. The noticeably sulphurous minerals contained in the water were thought to be health-giving and the well soon became a tourist attraction and there were unfulfilled plans to pipe the water to a pavilion in the village itself. Although the spa was an important factor in its expansion, Gainford’s popularity as a resort waned after World War One and was never to match that of nearby Croft or Dinsdale. In recent times the bowl was vandalised and in 2002 was replaced with an exact replica of the original Victorian one.
Gainford Spa is located on a riverside path on the north bank of the River Tees off the A67 approximately 1 km west of the village of Gainford in County Durham (OS Grid Ref NZ 162173)